Kelp is a great solution not only as an organic fertilizer, but also as a soil conditioner, and it can help promote flowering.
Indoors, container-grown herbs that have been treated with a kelp solution have a much greater tolerance of dry and low-light conditions, giving you healthier plants that grow and taste better.
A spray of kelp solution can also control insects if sprayed when the pests are first noticed.
Make Your Own Kelp Spray
To make your own kelp spray, get a bottle of liquid kelp (also called seaweed extract) at any garden center or nursery.
1 tablespoon (15 ml) of liquid kelp
with 1 gallon (3.8 l) of water.
Use it for watering or apply it as a foliar spray twice a month.
A List of Some of the Best Herbs to Grow Indoors
- All Basils (Ocimum spp.)
- Bay (Laurus nobilis)
- Catnip (Nepeta cataria)
- Chervil (Anthriscus cerefolium)
- Chives (Allium schoenoprasum)
- Corander or Cilantro (Coriandrum sativum)
- Oregano (Origanum heracleoticum)
- Rosemary Rosmarinus officinalis)
- Sage (Salvia spp.)
- Summer Savory (Satureja hortensis)
- Sweet Margoram (Origanum majorana)