Best Time To Transplant Plants

Written by Hilary on May 7th, 2009

Typically, gardeners tend to transplant plants, whether they are vegetable, strawberry, tree, shrub, or perennial plants, when they have the time to do it, regardless of the time of day, or the weather.

This is normal, but if you think about it, planning when you transplant your plants is one of the best things you can do because you will ensure your plants getting off to a strong and healthy start.

I mean, why bother with all the time and effort only to have seedling transplants that are going to flag, sag, wilt, and maybe die on you? So let’s avoid all this shall we?

The Best Time To Transplant Plants

The best time of day to plant is in the late afternoon when the sun is not so hot, and the wind has calmed down. By taking advantage of this time of day, the new plants have overnight to acclimate.

Strong sun and wind are very hard on new transplants and unless you water carefully, and in some cases provide some shelter from the wind and sun, they can severely wilt. This places your plants under stress at the very beginning of their growing cycle and is not a good idea because sometimes they never bounce back and don’t thrive as well as they could have.

Mulching does help since it lowers the rate at which water evaporates from the soil and controls the soil temperature, so that is always a benefit if you must plant in the middle of the day.

The Best Weather To Transplant Plants

Transplants become less stressed when they are set out on a cloudy, calm day. There is some humidity in the air at that time, and no wind will mean less of a chance of the new seedlings getting dried out.

For more Gardening Tips and Gardening Advice visit our main gardening website at Weekend Gardener Monthly Web Magazine – http://www.weekendgardener.net/

Have great week!

1. Anthony says:

Hello and thanks for the tip! I was just about to go out and begin
    planting some seedlings when I thought 12 noon, with the sun beating down, might not be an ideal time to do this. So I googled it and wala
    it brought me to here. I’m glad I went with my instinct and I’m doubley glad your doing a blog.
    Thx!

Hi Anthony,

So glad I could be of help! I hope your seedlings are thriving.

Hilary

3. THERESA JACKSON says:

I WANT TO MOVE MY NEW ROSE OF SHARON TO THE BACK YARD..IT IS IN MY FRONT YARD AT THE MOMENT..SHOULD I MOVE IT NOW..TO A MORE SHELTERED AREA OR LEAVE IT TO THE SPRING

Hi Theresa,

Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus) is a deciduous shrub, so the best time to transplant it is when it is fully dormant.

You can move it during the winter months or in the very early spring before it starts actively growing again.

These are tough plants, so you should be just fine.

5. J.C. says:

Hello, I live in zone 8. Is now the best time to transplant my Aucuba Japonica or shall I wait until Spring? Thanks.

6. Richard Westlake says:

Hi, I live in Scotland and am wondering when to move an established Pieris Japonica (Katsura) to another part of the garden. Thanks.

7. Saundra says:

2 questions………I have a hibiscus that is in the sun,I do get flowers but by the end of July it stops flowering & the leaves start turning brown. Should I put it in the shade?

I have a plant (unknown ) droped by a bird, I think. It poped up early this spring,has purple flowers & blums almost all sumer. Problem is it is behind my airconditioner. I want to put it someplace I can enjoy it but do I wait till spring or can I do it now?

8. Patsy Scott says:

I have two hydrangeas in pots on my deck and I’d like to transplant them to a garden. What is the best time of year to do this to cause the least stress to the plants.

9. Delores says:

When is the best time to transplant elephant ears.I want to move them so they wont be in the sun all day.