Growing Tomatoes and Tomato Growing Tips!

Written by Hilary on July 10th, 2007

A Definitive Guide to How To Grow Tomatoes

Tired of seeing so many partial articles about tomatoes, I finally compiled all my experience and information to create a complete guide to growing tomatoes, with several tomato growing tips.

To read the entire free report go to How To Grow Tomatoes: Growing Tomatoes

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did putting it all together!

1. Anonymous says:

Dear Hilary,

Thank you so much. This is a beautiful, wonderful site, and I am your perfect student –such a lover of tomatoes, but with so much to learn. I will make it the top of my Tomato Favorites –just reading through once has taught me so much. I especially appreciate the down to earth (npi) approach; the simple and compact writing, and the authoritative voice of experience that comes through in every sentence.
    I love tomatoes. I think in the last 365 days I ate tomatoes every day. Ever since I was introduced to the Mexican Tomato Salsa years ago –what a revelation– I have been evolving my own version: tomato, cilantro, hot pepper,and lime juice. Could anything be better. (I take great pleasure in growing the first 3 ingreds. Should I look into growing my own limes?)
    Growing up in Ireland, one’s horticultural horizons expand in the NE coast of USA, with increased solar availability, plus the intercultural benefits of living in multi-ethnic New York (Staten Island) –to name but two.
    Thank you again for the seminar. Is tom-education too cute a contrivance? Whether or not, you will know what I mean.

–Malachi McCormick

Hi Malachi,

Thank you so much for your kind words. They mean a lot coming from such a world traveler and enthusiast!

So glad you found it helpful.

Have a great day!

3. Anonymous says:

me and my pops are doing our own tomato growing contest i hope i win!

4. Lisa Lovelock says:

Hi

I enjoyed reading your posts on growing tomatoes. I am a tomato growing enthusiast myself and have to say the info was very informative and useful, thanks

Lisa

5. Stuart Williams says:

May I ask if greenhouse tomatos are grown as perennials or annuals? If a plant is established will it regrow year after year OR would I need plant a new one each year?
    Thank you.
    Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

Tomatoes are annual plants. And while growing them in a greenhouse will extend your growing season, they will die back in the fall.

The fewer hours of sunlight in the autumn will trigger them to die back. And even if you extend them with grow lights, they will still eventually die.

You’ll have to grow new tomatoes next year, which is great because you’ll be able try new varieties!