Kill Fungus, Bacteria and Moss!

Written by Hilary on January 16th, 2007

The weather here has been so uncharacteristically wet and moist, that I have been getting moss growing on my sidewalks and even on the top of my soil!

If you’re having similar problems, try this simple mix that kills fungus, bacteria, and moss from growing in your lawn, on your plants and trees, and between the cracks in your sidewalk and patios.

Try this Mix:
1-Part Hydrogen Peroxide mixed with 9-Parts Water

Just mix it up, put the solution into a spray-bottle, lightly apply it to the area that needs it, and watch it quickly rid your lawn, plants, and flowers of ugly fungi and bacteria. It’s also safe to use around plants and children.

Try it out and let me know if you like it!

For more Gardening Tips and Gardening Advice visit our main gardening website at Weekend Gardener Monthly Web Magazine

1. Ki says:

Will it kill algae too? We have algae growing on the vinyl siding on the north side of the house. I may give it a try when it becomes a bit warmer. We used a dilute solution of bleach last time but I don’t know if it would harm the plants and had to be careful not to get any on the clothes. Thanks for the tip.

2. Anonymous says:

Thanks so much for this information – we’ll try it on the Fire Blight that one of our apple trees has, and on a guava, too. We’ve also used bleach, but it’s such a mess, and I always fuss about spilling it. Love your magazine!

Hi,

I have never tried it on algae, but it can’t hurt to try. If you do try it out, let me know so I can post it here. Anytime I can learn too is a great opportunity. Thanks!

As for the Fire Blight, you can alway spray Neem Oil. It works wonders!

So glad you enjoying the magazine, have a great day.

Hilary

4. Anonymous says:

Many thanks for the information,
    but will it bleach the grass.I have tried chlorine and this effects just about every thing and grass returns to normal but if it gets on plants they have simply died away. this idea I will try and with and hopfully it will do the trick. Let you know.
    John.

5. Anonymous says:

some website mentioned bleach with water. I have a problem with moss in my lawn where my grass is growing. Will this solution also kill the grass, or does it only affect moss?

Hi,

It will only kill the moss.

Hilary

7. Anonymous says:

Hi.I have fungi coming up from dead tree roots under my lawn. Do you think this will get rid of it?

Hi,

No, not really simply because mushrooms are so hard to kill.

I just did a full article about mushrooms, you can read it here:

Get Rid Of Mushrooms In Lawn
    Why They Form, And How To Get Rid of Them

This article will give you some really good background about why they form and the best tricks to get rid of them.

I hope you find it helpful!

9. evelyn says:

Hi, I found your site while looking for a cure to my horses fungal problem in his feet. Just thought I’d mention that fungi in your lawn is actually a very healthy sign. It means that the microrhizal system in your soils are alive and well which in turn is good for your grass. Your grasses will not do as well without this structure. good luck, Ev

10. avy says:

Hi Hilary, what strength hydrogen peroxide should I use to get rid of moss and fungi in the lawn and is it readily available to buy?